Our Tours - Rally New Zealand - 2010 - Report
With clients arriving on the Wednesday from as far away as the UK, Isle of Man, Japan and Australia and of course our local’s from around NZ.
We all meet up in the evening for our meet and greet and to outline the tour, joined by our regular clients from Australia, Japan and New Zealand.
Excitement and anticipation for what was going to be an exciting rally.
Thursday was the shake down, team Solberg visit, visit to North One, and Rally NZ Headquarters based at Sky City.
The next three mornings were going to be very early starts, for which Greg makes no apology for, in order to get our clients into premium viewing areas.
DAY 1 - North
Today to view 4 Special Stages, we were joined by the couple who won the ultimate WRC trip, flights and accommodation, and were able to join in with the Rally Tours group, they had just landed from France.
Viewing activities for day one:
- SS1 Waipu Caves
- SS4 Cassidy 1
- BBQ lunch at Paparoa Golf Club
- SS6 Brooks 2
- SS9 Auckland Domain
- Dinner at Sky City Restaurant
For the first time we charted a helicopter, to be with us for the day, this proved to be very popular. The clients were able to follow the lead cars through the stages. This was an experience that they won’t forget, especially for some, it was there first time.
Greg was lucky to witness Loeb’s crash (unlucky for Loeb).
DAY 2 - 6.00am depart for Te Akau Coast Stage, with all the clients on the coaches ready to go
- SS12 Te Akau Coast - Cnr Matira & Te Akau Coast Rds - Depart for Baker Rd - follow sweeper out
- SS15 Enter Baker Rd and travel to spectator viewing area in escorted convoy
( Lunch at View point)
- Arrive Auckland Service Park for Flexi Service Queens Wharf
Dinner was on one of the Fullers ferry moored alongside Queens wharf, and gave the clients an opportunity to be in the service park.
DAY 3 - A 5.00am departure, heading towards what would be the penultimate spectator viewing spot… the Whanga coast . . . we drove into the stage, and were there for two of the day’s stages.
- SS19 Whaanga Coast 1 - enter stage via Ruapuke Rd
- SS21 Whaanga Coast 2 - follow sweeper out of stage
Hayden Paddon, as Rally Tours is one of his sponsors, it was a great result for Hayden and Team Green, to finish the rally with an excellent result. We wish him is continued success here and overseas.
It was great to have our regular clients who have joined Greg on many excursions round the world and have attended NZ rallies, and welcome our new clients that were from the UK, Belgium, Germany, Australia, Japan and NZ.
A very successful tour, a big thank you to the following
- Papaora Golf Club – BBQ lunch.
- Onewhero School, BBQ lunch, and also provided baking from the school children – all enjoyed by our clients including the green and blue iced muffins…
- Southern Spit BBQ who provided a fantastic lunch.
- Heletranz who were brilliant at giving our clients the excitement and thrill of following the rally vehicles.
- Rally NZ, and their fantastic organization, to make the rally run smoothly.
- Our team of Guides and drivers.
See What our clients say and also the Photo gallery, to view the great shots that our clients have provided.