Rally New Zealand organisers today confirmed that the 2020 FIA World Rally Championship event in and around Auckland in September has been cancelled due to the ongoing challenges with the Covid-19 pandemic.
With three months until the planned return of the WRC event, but with the New Zealand borders remaining closed to international visitors for the foreseeable future, the organisers had reached their final deadline.
“It became clear that with our borders closed to international travel and the logistics required to host thousands of international visitors as part of the World Rally Championship, that the September 2020 date was not practical,” said Rally New Zealand 2020 CEO, Michael Goldstein.
While WRC Promoter and FIA are yet to finalise their 2021 calendar, Rally New Zealand organisers are optimistic that the country’s iconic roads will be a feature of the WRC schedule. Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) Steve Armitage – General Manager Destination said while Auckland will miss out on the opportunity to host the WRC in September, the prospect of a potential 2021 event is exciting.
All Rally Tours NZ customers who have expressed interest and paid the deposit for the WRC Rally NZ 2020 Tour will be contacted soon.
Based on the official information Rally New Zealand 2020 Ltd
Rally Tours NZ Ltd and company director Greg Paul are pleased to confirm that the company will be the official tour operator for the WRC Rally NZ 2020 event.
Rally Tours NZ will follow our tried and true formula of past years. You can expect some exclusive viewing points and we will organise to visit a WRC team and as usual will offer optional helicopter stage viewing.
Wednesday, September 2nd
- Arrive Auckland and transfer to Auckland hotel
- Late PM Registration and Briefing with welcome dinner
Thursday, September 3rd (Auckland)
- AM transfer to Shakedown
- Return to service park for team visit and driver forum
- Ceremonial start (most likely in the city centre)
- Return to hotel
Friday, September 4th (South of Auckland)
- AM transfer to rally Stage (breakfast en route and lunch on stage)
- Transfer to a second stage (we will offer helicopter ride options today)
- Transfer back to the Super Special Stage in Auckland
- Return to hotel
Saturday, September 5th (North of Auckland)
- AM transfer to north stages (breakfast en route)
- Visit a 2nd afternoon stage before returning to the Auckland SSS
- Included dinner at the SSS tonight
- Return to hotel
Sunday September 6th (Close to Auckland and likely to be to the South East)
- Transfer to the TV and finish stages for priority viewing
- Return to the finish podium to help celebrate with the winners
- Optional tour dinner and farewell with invite to after Rally Party
This itinerary is likely to alter closer to the rally date.
We offer our usual two packages: “Gold Tour” and “Day Tour” options. Besides, new for 2020 will be a self-drive option with soft 4×4 rental option included. The self-drive convoy will be guided and cars included in the package. Limited numbers apply for this option. Please contact us for more information.
Participants for the “Gold Tour” can plan to fly into Auckland on Wednesday the 2nd September 2020 and depart Auckland on Monday 7th September.
WRC RALLY NZ 2020 “GOLD TOUR” COSTS
- $NZ 2,095 per person + choose accommodation option below
Special rates (Ramada Hotel) for the whole period of the Rally NZ 2020 tour which includes breakfast for 3 days (another 2 days breakfast will be en route).
- Deluxe Room (double): $NZ 1,180 (breakfast for one), $NZ 1,265 (breakfast for two)
- Studio room (double/twin): $NZ 1,400 (breakfast for one), $NZ 1,485 (breakfast for two)
- 1 Bedroom apartment (double/twin): $NZ 1,565 (breakfast for one), $NZ 1,650 (breakfast for two)
- 2 Bedroom apartment (1 double + 2 twin beds): $NZ 2,390 (breakfast for one), $NZ 2,475 (breakfast for two), $NZ 2,625 (breakfast for four)
Early Bird Payment: Pay the full amount by 10th March and receive a 5% discount. Applies to “Gold Tour” only.
Deposit: $NZ 1,000 is required to secure a place.
- Transfers from the International Airport to our hotel on arrival
- Transport in small coaches throughout the event until Sunday night
- Services of a licensed Driver and Rally guide in each vehicle
- Welcome dinner on Wednesday night
- All event tickets (Gold Pass)
- A voucher to purchase a piece of Rally NZ merchandise
- Hotel room of your choice with breakfast every morning (Thursday to Monday) either at the hotel or on the road
- Lunches on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Farewell dinner on Sunday night
- Personal travel insurance (recommended)
- Lunch at the service park on Thursday
- Beverages at the dinners, tips, taxis, etc.
- Spending of a personal nature
WRC RALLY NZ “DAY TOUR” ONLY COSTS
Hotel to hotel, lunch, tickets and transport are included.
- $NZ 359 per person (pending available seats)
Based on interest already received this 2020 event will be popular. Get those expressions of interest in quickly.
If you are interested please complete the “registration of interest form” (click here to download). If you are going with somebody else (friends, family member, etc.) it is necessary to complete the form for each of you.
NOTES FOR WRC RALLY NZ 2020 ENTHUSIASTS
Our rally tour will be based at Manukau suburb, Auckland. We will likely use the nearby convention centre for the briefing and a dinner.
Vehicles will be small Rosa type tour coaches with a maximum of 15 seats for the rally day transport into stages. Larger coaches will be used for transfers in Auckland from the SSS to the hotel. Rally Tours NZ will have a convoy manager and trail support vehicle for emergencies.
No confirmed itinerary has been announced yet but all confirmed attendees that have paid a deposit will receive regular WRC Rally NZ newsletters from Rally Tours NZ as new information comes to hand.
Spectating opportunities may be limited unless subscribing to the official tour. These restrictions for the general public is due to strict safety requirements from the governing body.
Rally Tours NZ Ltd, the “Official Tour Operator” to WRC Rally NZ Ltd will negotiate with local farmers, and work with the organisation to secure the best view points again for 2020. Our reconnaissance for the spectator points will begin as soon as the rally route is released.
Rally Tours NZ are looking forward to hosting our rally enthusiast friends from all around the world again in 2020.
If you want to talk to our representatives please use the Contact Us link.